Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Eli Update!

Soo. I know I haven't been around here for a while, but we have been busy and sick. So many of you have been praying for my little fam of 3 and I THANK YOU from the DEEP, down bottom of my heart. Here is whats been going on (I figure this is easier than putting it all on facebook or texting and calling everyone)

As most of you know Eli has been a sickly  kid all of his life. But the last 4-5 weeks he was waking up in the middle of the night with terribly high fevers (like 2-3 nights a week and these fevers are from 102 to 105.) He had also been complaining of his back hurting really bad often for about 3 weeks. After these weird fevers I would give him a dose of Ibproufen and he would be fine for 2 or 3 days and then we were back to a fever at 1am. So it was time for me to do something about it....the whole thing is really troublesome.

So I took him to the Pediatrician on Friday and they did some bloodwork and had to get a urine analysis (which was AWFUL....because he wouldn't pee and they had to give him a catheter and got NO pee. He screamed and his natural reaction was to push, to try to push out the catheter and he burst the little blood vessles around his eyes.) It was terrible to say the least, I was crying right along with him. The next morning he woke up and was able to pee in the potty (we are currently potty training....) and I ran his cup 'o pee up to the hospital so that they could get that going.

Saturday afternoon the pediatrician called me and told me that Eli's lab results did come back pretty off and abnormal. The main concern was that his white blood cell count was rather low(along with 5 other labs they sent), which is a big concern. But it explains why Eli isnt able to fight whatever it is that is taking over his little 29lb body. So he told me that he would talk to a Hemotologist on Monday morning and he would call me back and we would go from there. So imagine the stress and "freak out" I had when the Hemotologist/Oncologist (cancer dr) called me AT WORK on Monday morning and wanted to see Eli right then. I needed to take a deep breath and figure out what in the world was going on. The Pediatrician had told me not to panic and that I would hear from him and I was hearing the word cancer and was freaking out. So after crying for a few hours and with the help of some amazing family members and friends, I calmed down and was ready to attack whatever answer I was going to get about Eli, on Wednesday.  (today) ((And please believe I had some words for that Dr. that told me not to panic and then once I heard that Eli could have Luekemia, I had every reason in the world to panic. Lets just say, after the experience I have had with them lately, I do believe I will be looking for a new pediatrician in the near future.))


Rewind to today.On 465 at 7:45am, on our way to Riley at IU Med North (we will get to how AMAZING they were/are)  Thank God for my Nana going with us, because I had no idea what I was in store for. When we got there we walked in and they had a little door for Eli to walk through and a normal door for adults, he just thought that was the bees knees, for sure! When we walked in he said "this isn't a Doctors office Mommy, this is a fun place, like an inside park." So I knew we were going to be ok. It was weird, I found myself leaning on my 2 year old for strength. They put a "magic" lotion on his arm, to numb it so that he wouldn't feel a prick when they had to draw more blood. And after talking to the doctor and giving Eli's history and the problems that he has been having with his back and all of the "fevers of unknown origin" they decided to do a BONE MARROW. That was uber scary to hear that they really thought he could possibly have cancer. I know they had said it on the phone the other day, and that was scary enough, but when you are sitting in front of a doctor actually telling you this is a possibility......yeah......not fun at all.

So they had already given Eli his "magic lotion" to numb his arm, so they drew the blood and inserted his IV. He never cried one time through any of the day. Not once. I was impressed...and thankful. So after they took his blood, he was exhausted...and starving, but he still couldn't eat. He was so weak, he just fell asleep. Then they administered the medicine to offically knock him out so they could get the bone marrow to test it. That was kinda painful for me...the noises you hear are not the most pleasant sounds. It was sad for me (and for Nana) After that Eli woke up, peacefully and happily and asked for Peanut Butter and Jelly and Doritios....whatever you want kid, you get! The nurses also had a Sprite for Eli. He was pretty happy about all of that. He has complained that his back hurts, but he has a little hole in it, so I don't say that I blame him much.
After that procedure, they sent us right downstairs for a CT Scan and a Chest XRay to see if there were any issues with his Lungs or his Sinuses. He was a gem---never cried, he was a perfect little boy. The tech even asked me if he was ok because he was so calm.

So At the end of the day these are the findings...
Bone Marrow-looks perfect, no signs of Luekemia or Cancer that they were worried about. Thank GOD!!!
His Sinuses are fine....no problem with those.
His lungs were kinda .......weird. Eli has seen a Pulmonologist and is being treated for Asthsma....but they don't technically diagnose them with it until they are 4 years old....which is STUPID if you ask me. But anyways....the Doctor compared a chest xray from 2010 to today and it showed some differences and basically a decrease in his air flow in his lungs. So we are going to go with that and see about a possible CT scan on his lungs to see if this is what is causing the problems. Because of the lack of air in his lung, apparently it could be shutting down his system, which is causing him to get fevers that he can't kick because he doesn't have enough white blood cells to fight the infection. Phew...thats a lot of info. But all I know is my baby boy doesn't have Cancer, and anything else we can handle and is managable. It is obvious that he has some sort of immune difficiency, we just have to figure out what it is. So in 2 weeks we go back for yet another set of labs. But I'm ok with that all. And Eli said he can't wait to go back. "Eberyone was soooo nice to Eli" he said.


So I know that was a TON of info...if you even made it this far, but thank you so much for all of your prayers and amazingly kind words. Riley Hospital left me speechless today. I have seen commercials. I have heard its wonderful, but today I experienced it first hand and I am forever grateful for their kindness and patience with Eli and myself! If you ever have a few dollars laying around....donate it...games, movies, anything. I know I will.

Love,
US!

Here is Mr. Eli after he woke up from his procedure and had a little lunch. He was happy...and a little out of it! But happy nontheless!

Vote for "OuR LiFe..." :)
 




Thank you again for all of your prayers and help. You will never know how grateful I (and Eli) am. It has helped so much!














4 comments:

  1. So thankful that there is no cancer - I know that must have been TERRIBLY scary for you both and I'm thankful those results are good. I hope they can figure out what is going on with his lungs and get that little boy of yours healthy! I'll remember him in prayer - keep posting :) Hope you all sleep well tonight! :) Jes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor so glad to hear good news. I know what you were feeling. We were told two different times that Jarred may have Lukemia. It's terrifying to say the least. We've been to Riley with both kids. Alot has changed from 20 years ago and I hear it's so much better. But even then it was wonderful. Hang in there. You'll get it all figured out and he'll be all better soon! Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I wish I'd known all this was going on! So, so, so glad to hear it wasn't the scary L word! But they still don't know what is causing the fevers, right?

    You guys are in my prayers, now and always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. they aren't exactly sure yet....now they are discussing the possibility of an "airway disease" we are going back on the 24th for more tests, so hopefully we will find an answer! xoxo

    ReplyDelete